Yesterday was another great day of worship to honor and thank God. We heard the story in Luke of Jesus’ first public ministry in his hometown. He quotes from scripture (Isaiah 61) and tells what he has come to do. We learn how Jesus can be vulnerable and take risks because the Holy Spirit is with him and with us too. Following worship was a gathering with the Transition Team as the community mourns the end of GGCC and dreams about the future. If you missed being with us, you can watch here and see photos here.
We take the message into our week’s reflections and discussions:
- Read Luke 4:14-21 (go on through vs 30 if you want the whole story.) What stands out to you? What is Jesus doing?
- How do you define prophet? Have you heard any lately? How do you know when someone is speaking truth?
- What do you think about God, in Jesus, becoming vulnerable? How does this impact your image of God?
- How do you engage scripture? How can you bring the words to life in what you say and do?
- Reflect on this quote: “God is not looking for people who act like Christians. He wants us to be Christians! The word Christian means “anointed or Christlike one.” Jesus did not go around “being good”; he went around “doing good” and releasing all who were oppressed. What has he anointed you to do?” — Lisa Bevere
Curated links and resources:
- ‘Encanto’ offers a warning about ignoring young prophets
- Worried About Teenagers’ Mental Health?
- How to Listen Deeply
- Daring to Be Vulnerable
Calendar of Upcoming Events!
- Jan 30: Terry Hershey is with us as our guest preacher and immediately following worship will lead a time of discussion about God’s Grace transition with a pizza lunch.
- Feb 6: worship will be streamed live at 9:00 am from Hopewell Baptist Church in Mississippi, where GGCC will have a ministry team on the ground.
- Feb 13: Rev. Dr. Larron Jackson preaches on Super Bowl Sunday.
- Feb 20: the Annual Gathering and Celebration of GGCC’s ministry.
- Mar 2: Ash Wednesday Worship at RCHS.
- Mar 26: GGCC Send Off Celebration featuring a concert with Peter & Brendan Mayer and a fundraiser for our ministry partners.
- Mar 27: Vikki Luce farewell sermon and reflection on her years at GGCC.
- Apr 10: Palm Sunday, Pastor DJ will give his farewell reflections on serving at GGCC for 18 years and 36 years in ordained ministry.
- Apr 17: Easter Celebration Worship.
- Apr 24: Final GGCC Worship with guest, Pastor Gave Jolly from Hopewell Baptist Church in MS.